Our course prepares students for employment as pet groomers through:
- Studies including the History of Dogs and Dog Psychology, plus practical experience
- Actual hands-on grooming of most popular breeds, including up to date grooming trends
- A diploma
- Job placement assistance
- Foundation For Grooming Skills: proper techniques and equipment used in basic grooming functions, including:
- clipping feet, tail, and face
- ear, eye, teeth, feet cleaning
- toenail clipping
- Safety, Care and Handling of Tools: proper application and handling of various tools.
- History of the Dog, AKC Breed Identification: official standards and breed identification of the most commonly groomed dogs.
- Selection of Equipment: proper selection of various scissors, blades, clippers, combs, and brushes.
- Grooming Articles: lectures on articles, including “The Care of Old Dogs”, “How to be Successful”, and others.
- Avalon Kennelsoft: hands-on training with the grooming industry’s popular computer application.
- Use of Clipper Vac System: an essential tool in keeping the grooming environment clean and protecting the lungs of both groomers and animals.
- Field Trips: special trips are included to broaden the student’s knowledge (transportation not included)
Length of Program
Full time classes over sixteen weeks.
Tuesday through Friday, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm.; Saturday: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Flexible hours can be arranged.
Approximate Daily Schedule
Time – Activity
9:00-9:30 a.m. – Scissoring Exercises
9:30-10:00 a.m. – Practical Application
10:00-10:15 a.m. – Break
10:15-12:00 p.m. – Practical Application
12:00-12:30 p.m. – Lunch
12:30-2:00 p.m. – Practical Application
2:00-2:15 p.m. – Break
2:15-3:00 p.m. – Practical Application/Clean Up
3:00 p.m. – Close
Practical application sessions are limited to four students per instructor and school enrollment is limited to six students per session.
Diplomas will be presented upon successful completion of the course, and contingent upon full payment of fees, tuition, and supplies.
Job Placement Assistance
Canine Clippers will assist graduates in finding employment. We will:
- offer employment at a Canine Clippers, Inc. salon when available.
- assist in setting up interviews with prospective employers and allot time off to conduct the interviews.
- contact local and national companies for vacancy information.
- provide students with a list of those pet grooming shops in Northern Virginia that are hiring or may be hiring in the future.
Canine Clippers School of Pet Grooming is located within Wash-N-Wag of Culpeper, a fully air conditioned grooming salon, with a separate reception area, classroom/grooming room complete with 4 grooming tables strictly for students, three bathing tubs, three drying tables and almost 30 kennels.